Friday, September 26, 2008

post numero uno

It's thoroughly nerve-wracking to a)travel, b)choose a blog title/name/url, etc. Everything was taken - by blogs that hadn't been updated for a minimum of three years. So...they seriously archive these forever..?
DC tomorrow.
I need to see this movie - don't forget!
Frog River, it's called. Those tracks...if people appreciated that shit more. It seems to be huge in Japan, and certain small areas around the rest of the world, but I frequently hear reference to deep/acid/soulful house being huge in Japan. Damn. It would be so great to be in a space where a bunch of people were feeling that shit. wow. And to play for people who would...that would also be nuts. I often wonder, what if...?
tracks of the moment include:

(the A side of that second record he plays in that frog river clip).

That's enough for now...there's so many more. This will also be a music journal. I remember moments in my life by the songs I listened to/played.
Kerri Chandler's Atmosphere EP
Johnny Hammond - Fantasy
Loose Joints - All Over My Face (Love Dancing)
Charles Earland - Leaving This Planet (the namesake of the heading)
N.E.R.D - Love Bomb
Incognito's Tales from the Beach album
Unlimited Touch - I Hear Music in the Streets
Kuniyuki Takahashi - All These Things (album)
All These Things (Theo Parrish remix)
Sheila E - Glamorous Life
Jamiroquai - Little L

That's a bit lengthy, but there are some great songs I don't want to forget I have (it happens a lot). Oooo, Hold Tight just gives me chills, in a romantic...nightly, kind of summery-carefree kind of way. Kind of like last summer....
That's a whole other topic though, and I've talked about it far too much to go into it again. Not now.
I do love the WGRC. I went, though, and it was a hot mess. Dirty cups all over, the coffee-maker had a used filter left in it??? It was nice spending time there - it's really calming. I feel good having office hours - even if Becca is the only person to regularly frequent them. Rachel came last week, and Richie, surprisingly, hung out for a while tonight. It is my hope that people use that space more and more as time goes on, and we have a more coherent organization system.
I find that I'm really starting to politicize myself on campus...or at least, own my experience here and work toward the changes I want to see on campus. I'm living that damn Ghandi quote...I mean, it's great. I love it. It's just funny to me. I was all "how do you be the change you want to see in the world?" and now I am...it's just where my life is moving. I am feeling slightly more confident, and like I'm "filling my" shoes more every day. It's kind of good, kind of frightening - but I'm so swept up in it, I couldn't bother to think twice about what I'm doing. I am too intentional about everything, and live out my beliefs, naturally. At least, I feel that way - maybe it's not the case. I haven't figured my life out or anything...just a hypothesis.
btw, I love garlic.
Thanks for a good first post.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

at first i was like, "who's richards??"
and then i read the part about you going to DC and it all clicked ^^

i really like your blog. it seems a bit more coherent than mine, although that's not too hard considering mine's all over the place. i hope it's ok that i link to yours on mine.

oh, and i demand your phone number, reed boskey (i'm usually not this forward, but i figure that 4 hour g-chat heart-to-heart means we're pretty tight, haha)

have fun in DC, dear!

johan in progress said...

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!